How can I improve my vocabulary?
• By reading. (This is about five times more effective than listening.)
• By reading at every opportunity you get. (At home. On the bus. Waiting for the doctor...)
• By reading different genres – that is, different styles of writing: academic articles; newspaper or magazine articles; encyclopaedia entries; short stories or novels; and, biographies.
• By devising a system of recording vocabulary.
• By testing yourself regularly.
• By using new words and phrases in writing and speaking.